The brittle is so good that you'll want to eat it on it's own. Don't - it's worth it putting it into the ice cream mixture. However, I can't help it if there might be some that 'just wouldn't fit' and somehow ended up in my mouth. It was worth it.
Macadamia Nut Crunch Ice Cream
Recipe from Technicolor Kitchen
Ingredients for Macadamia Nut Crunch:
2/3 cup roasted salted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp unsalted butter
Ingredients for Ice Cream:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups whole mik
pinch of salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 large egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions for the Macadamia Nut Crunch:
1. Lay out a silpat mat or butter a small rimmed baking sheet. Combine nuts and baking soda in a small bowl.
2. Stir sugar, water and butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts, about 2 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium-high. Boil until amber colored, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes. Mix in nut mixture and immediately pour it onto silpat or buttered sheet, spreading as much as possible. Cool completely then chop into small pieces. Set aside to add to the ice cream mixture.
Directions for the ice cream:
1. Bring cream, milk and salt to a simmer in a large saucepan. Whisk sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk the hot ice cream mixture into the yolk mixture - making sure to start with a small amount of the hot liquid so as to not curdle the eggs. Return mixture to the same saucepan.
2. Stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of a wooden spoon when your finger is drawn across. Do not let the custard mix boil.
3. Pass the custard through a sieve into a medium bowl. Stir in vanilla and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.
4. Process the custard in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the crunch brittle during the last few minutes of churning. Transfer to a container, cover and freeze until firm.