And oh, was resistance futile. This was so delicious and a perfect combination of flavors. The coconut wasn't overpowering, but was a nice blend with the almonds and caramel.
Nutty Coconut Caramel Brownies
Recipe from A Spicy Perspective
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
12oz dark chocolate chunks, divided
2 - 14oz cans dulce de leche*
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
*I only had one can of dulce de leche and one can of condensed milk. The dulce de leche was pretty thick on its own, so I mixed in half of the can of condensed milk before pour over the warm brownies. I made sure it was smooth and completely blended before pouring on. It was very easy to spread over the warm brownies, and didn't tear them apart. The taste was divine - so I probably would do it the same way the next time I make it.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set oven racks in the center and upper positions. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Then add the sugar and mix well.
3 Add the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Then whisk in one egg at a time, until well combined.
4. Measure out 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and reserve for later. Mix in the rest of the chocolate chunks and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
5. Bake on the enter rack for approx. 20-25 minutes, until the center is set.
6. Take the brownies out of the oven and increase the temperature to 400 degrees F.
7. Gently spread the dulce de leche evenly over the top, being careful not to disturb the brownie crust.
8. Sprinkle the coconut, almonds, and remaining chocolate chunks over the top and press a little.
9. Place on the top rack of the oven to toast the coconut and almonds for 2-5 minutes. Watch it carefully so that the coconut doesn't burn.
10. Cool completely, so the caramel sets. Cut and serve.
This post will be participating in the following Linky parties:
Tatertots & Jello * Think Pink Sundays * Sundae Scoop * Sunday Showcase Party *Watcha Got Weekend * Family Ever After * Nifty Thrifty Sunday * Making the World Cuter * Home Savvy * Just Something I Whipped Up * Made by You Mondays *Sew Cute Tuesday * Talent Tuesday * We Did It Wednesday * Hoo’s Got Talent * Look What I Made * The Trendy Treehouse * Thrilling Thursday * It’s a Hodgepodge