The cupcakes are delicious, and the multi-colored center is a fun twist. These will be a hit at my 4th of July events!
Red, White and Blue Cupcakes
Recipe from Lauren's Latest
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
4 large egg whites
1/2 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
(optional) food coloring
Ingredients for the frosting:
1 8oz package cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
(optional) food coloring or sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate stirring in the dry ingredients with the milk until none remain and the batter is well incorporated, scraping down the sides to ensure even mixing. Fold in egg whites.
Optional: If you will be coloring the batter, separate it into several bowls, adding the appropriate food coloring to each.
4. Alternating batter colors, spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Once the tins are filled 3/4 of the day, bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
5. For the frosting, heath the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Scrape sides and beat about 3 minutes until the frosting thickens. Frost cooled cupcakes and decorate.
This post will be participating in the following Linky parties:
Think Pink Sundays * Sundae Scoop * Sunday Showcase Party *Watcha Got Weekend * Family Ever After * Nifty Thrifty Sunday * Making the World Cuter * Home Savvy * Just Something I Whipped Up * Mix It Up Monday * Made by You Mondays *Tuesday Time Out * Sew Cute Tuesday * Talent Tuesday * We Did It Wednesday * Whatcha Baking Wednesday * Anything Goes * Hoo’s Got Talent * Look What I Made * The Trendy Treehouse * It’s a Hodgepodge * Petals to Picots * Spread the Love * Tatertots & Jello