What's Up, Cupcake? Menu

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

About Time! Pants

In the past year (slightly over) that I've been making garments, I haven't been brave enough to try pants.  When Colette released the Clover pattern, I knew I was going to have to try it.  But once again, the task seemed pretty daunting.  So I watched as they posted their tutorials on fitting issues, etc, and finally, made the purchase of some stretch (2%) denim.  I couldn't find a suitable 'muslin' fabric, so silly me... I decided to use regular cotton, non-stretch, muslin.  That's where the trouble began.

Clover pants and my Sencha blouse
I made the cotton muslin and it fit perfect in the legs but really tight over the bum and hips.  I wasn't sure how much of a difference this would make in the stretch denim so I sized up one size when I cut my fabric.  I started to assemble the pant and apparently wasn't paying attention; I accidently sew'd the outer edge first. Ugh.  Well, I might as well try to see how they're fitting at this point.  Oh... ginormous.  Sigh.  So out came the seam ripper, and an hour later (because yes, I had already done my felled seams at that point) I was back to my uncut pieces.  I re-matched up the pattern and cut it down to the original size that I had cut the muslin to.

I was pleasantly surprised with the fit moving forward.  The legs were a little wide so I took them in slightly.  I was too nervous to take them in too much but they were comfortable and the rest of the fit seemed great.


I'm really happy with how they came out.  They're definitely just going to be the first pair I make - I'd like to make another - this time with the appropriate muslin - and really get the legs to fit just right.  Just a little more form-fitted.

This would actually be a fast project if it weren't for my silly mistakes in the beginning.  I think once I make the muslin to fit, I'll have a great base to make several pairs.  Oh, and next time I'll do the pockets.  I just didn't want to add that to the fact that I was already nervous about my pants-making skills.  I really liked the flat-felled seams.  I used the tutorial provided on Colette's blog.  I had always been concerned that home-made pants wouldn't be as 'secure' as store-bought, and now I know the secret.

Fabric: Stretch denim
Pattern: Colette Clover
Notions: 9" invisible zipper and a hook and eye closure

8 comments:

  1. These turned out Great! I love the fit... very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out really nice!!! You do such a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute pants, I'm so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done for persevering, you will be a whizz at pants soon. They look like great basic pants - I think you will wear them lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. blackberry9:35 PM

    This looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THese turned out fantastic.. I really am scared to do pants..But these look really great on you.. Everyone is saying the clover pattern is easy.. I guess ,I need to go and buy it..
    Like your blouse you are wearing with it too.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always doing silly things like sewing the wrong seam first! So glad that your Clovers turned out okay despite that! They look quite lovely; not at all "first pair of home-made pants."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job I recon for a first pair of pants.
    I'm in the same boat as you, a bit nervous about making pants, they are on my to-do list for 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...