This cake would be a perfect spring/summertime dessert. And you can use the egg yolks to make a couple of batches of ice cream!
Strawberries and Cream Angel Food Cake Roll
Recipe from Brown Eyed Baker
Ingredients for the cake:
9 egg whites, room temperature
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 cup & 2 tbsp granulated sugar
3/4 cup cake flour
1 tbsp powdered sugar
Directions for the cake:
1. Line a 15x10" jelly roll pan with waxed paper and lightly coat with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the room temperature egg whites in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and cream of tarter to the egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff, glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. Fold in the flour 1/4 cup at a time.
3. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
|The cake batter spread out before it's going into the oven|
4. Meanwhile, dust a clean kitchen towel with the 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar. When the cake has cooled for a few minutes, turn the cake onto the towel. Gently peel off the waxed paper. Roll up the cake in a towel, so it forms the jelly roll shape. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Ingredients for the filling:
2 cups heavy whipping cream, chilled
6 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups diced strawberries
Optional: Additional powdered sugar for dusting the cake
Directions for the filling:
1. In a medium bowl, beat the cream on medium speed until it begins to thicken. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and increase the speed to medium-high, beating until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the strawberries. Store filling in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Assembling the cake:
1. Unroll the cooled cake. Spread the filling to within 1/2 an inch of the edges. Do not overfill the cake - you will have some leftover filling. Gently roll up the cake again, removing any excess filling from the sides or ends. Roll so that the seam side of the cake is at the bottom. Serve with a dusting a powdered sugar and any additional filling.
|Filling spread, ready to roll.|
|The rolled cake|
This post will be participating in the following Linky parties:
Think Pink Sundays * Sundae Scoop * Sunday Showcase Party *Watcha Got Weekend * Family Ever After * Nifty Thrifty Sunday * Making the World Cuter * Home Savvy * Just Something I Whipped Up * Mix It Up Monday * Made by You Mondays *Tuesday Time Out * Sew Cute Tuesday * Talent Tuesday * We Did It Wednesday * Whatcha Baking Wednesday * Anything Goes * Hoo’s Got Talent * Look What I Made * The Trendy Treehouse * It’s a Hodgepodge * Petals to Picots * Spread the Love * Tatertots & Jello